November 13, 2009

The birth story!

About to go home from the hospital
Hanging out and waiting
My two boys!
So the morning started off pretty uneventful. It was slow making progress and I stayed at a 3 for a very long time. It got to be around lunch and the contractions started picking up. They asked if I wanted pain medicine and I still wasn't to that point. The nurse came in and was going to give me a little something to take the edge away but I was so against feeling goofy and loopy. She pushed 5 mg of a 10 mg dose ( half of what they usually give) and I immediately started feeling super weird. I had trouble thinking and it made me zone out. That lasted about 15 minutes and I told her that I felt like I needed to push. This was about 3 pm. She checked me at a 5. Then with one contraction I started feeling even more pressure. I told her that I needed to push again and she checked and I was at an 8. She started clearing things out of the way and getting the baby cart set up. Before I could even catch my breath I told her that I was going to push again. I was at a 10. It literally took about 5 minutes. I guess she quickly called the doctor. Now I started to panic. Neil had just left to go and get Jack from school because just 10 minutes before I wasn't doing anything! Someone called for him to hurry and I started screeeeaammminng that I couldn't do this! It was way to late for any pain medicine at this point. The doctor did make it and told me that I had to do this. I closed my eyes and just started pushing and screaming. Neil finally made it and within about 3 minutes out pops baby Sam! It was fast and a little furious. He was born at 3:46 pm. This whole experience is nothing but a God thing. For weeks at bible study my prayer request was that it came naturally and fast and that I didn't have to make the decision on pain meds because I didn't want to not feel my body ( crazy I know!). My sisterchicks did nothing but pray and send uplifting texts all day. God totally had his hands all over this day, my family, and that sweet baby boy. I am so thankful for the way that things turned out. My faith has tripled since this day and I am ever thankful and grateful to Jesus for this baby. We are so blessed and in love, love, love!

2 comments:

The Brantley Boys said...

Leah, I'm so proud of you. It definitely sounds like the Lord had his hands all over it. Congrats! You did leave out one important detail: did it hurt???

Mark and Jenn said...

You are a rock star with no pain meds!!!!!!!!! Love that sweet boy and yes...he looks just like Jack boy.