August 15, 2008

WHAT A WEEK!!!

It has been a long week. It started on Monday when Neil picked Jack up from school and he had a "bad" note from his teacher that he bit his friend. Soooo we went to time out after we got home. What do you do when your child runs to you and the first thing he says is "Mommy Jack bite friends"? I guess the bright side is I am not raising a liar just a bully.....Then he got a note Wednesday about wearing tennis shoes because he has been taking his crocs off at school. They always tell me that he "is so smart" but who are they kidding? I am a teacher and I always know that you lead a parent conversation with a positive...then they tell me that he bit his friend. So today is Friday....I get to pick him up this afternoon and what do I find? Another tooth poem that he bit another friend. Both incidences occured in the "play house" when his friends had a toy that he wanted. He again told me as soon as he saw me that "Jack bit friend." I ask who and he proceeds to list every kid in his class. But wait.....one of my good friends from school's little boy is in Jack' class and guess who he bit today? HER little boy. She called and asked if Jack got a tooth poem and I immediately knew that Jack had bit him. I started crying talking to her because I have "that" kid!!! What do I do? I know he bites and we punish him but what else can I say? He tells me that he bites, he says that we don't bite our friends, but yet he stilllllllll does it! With all of that I am GLAD IT IS THE WEEKEND!!!!!!!! Hopefully next week will be letter free!
Here are some pics from earlier in the week!




8 comments:

Becky said...

oh man, Leah! That stinks. I don't know how you handle this type of situation - when he knows exactly what not to do and does it anyway. AHH!! I'm so sorry. What type of punishment does he get when he's at school... maybe it isn't enough for him to get the delayed punishment when he gets home... I don't know. Boys are so over my head! I'll pray about this situation though - hopefully the Lord will give you and Neil wisdom how to fix it SOON.

Becky said...

on a side note though - he is stinkin CUTE!!!! Hard to get mad at a face like that! :)

Garrett and Allison Reed said...

Leah, toddlers biting their peers is totatlly normal so don't stress too much..at that age they are developing a lot of oral awareness and figuring out all sorts of ways to use their mouths (eating, biting, talking,etc.) It is also probably one of the only ways he knows how to express his frustration....did the teachers say what prompts the biting??? I am attaching a link to an article that gives good advice for punishing the behavior..especially when you are having to deal with it way after the fact..... http://www.essortment.com/all/toddlersbiting_rbfi.htm

Just some thoughts from someone who has no children but a little education! Love you so much!

Garrett and Allison Reed said...

Just reread your post and noticed you said that the biting has been over toys...the article offers some thoughts on that too. You are a good mom and your kid is super cute...even if he bites now and then.

Brad, Amy, Bes and Mae said...

God love him! I can't advise on the biting situation... Bes isn't there yet! Hang in there... this too shall pass! :) Call me and we we'll head to the pool. I'm free all week!

The Brantley Boys said...

So, Leah here is my advice on what I have raised so far: when Chewy was a wee pup, she used to bite an appendage of my body. Of course, she didn't know that she was hurting me, but I definitely wasn't cool with it. So, from that point on, I started to bite her back every time she bit me. I am not suggesting that you bite Jack when he bites someone, but just an idea...it worked for Chewy like magic.

Allison said...

Hang in there! I have "that kid" who screams everytime mommy leaves his eyesight. "that kid" who tells on other children. "that kid" who can't go to school, church, gymnastics, or play dates b/c he melts into an emotional pile of goo. It will pass. God, I hope it passes.
Love yoU!

Kara said...

Branson is content for now to bite Mommy (and gets in plenty of trouble), but hasn't bitten anyone at school yet. Hopefully that isnt coming next. If so, I'll know who to call for advice on how to fix it...hehe! :)

Praying for ya'll!!