August 19, 2008

A Terrible, Horrible, NO Good.....

very, very, very bad day! So bet you will never guess what I got today when I picked Jack up from school?A million dollars...nope, free tuition for a week...nope, a free night of babysitting....nope......another tooth note??? YES, DING DING DING!!!! Well not only did he bite once today but TWICE!!!!!! I walked in his class and his sweet teacher said "I need to talk to you." Never a good sign- at least not in the last week. So I immediately looked at my son and he said "I bite friend." I gave him that mean mommy look and told him I was not happy. His teacher preceeded to tell me that he did it twice and before she could even finish I was in total tears. I just don't know what else to do and that is what I told her. (its kind of becoming embarrassing) She handed me this piece of paper that was an incident report and I thought that it was a "warning" notice that one more time and he would be kicked out of school. But it was for the other friend's mom to read about my son biting her kid! His teacher hugged me and said it was going to be okay and it was just a phase as I was sobbing on the way out the door. It's ok for other kids to have this phase but NOT MINE! When will it be over? Have I raised a monster? Is he going to be angry and violent forever if someone takes his toys? Will he ever know that biting is NOT OK? Is he going to not have any friends because he keeps doing this? These were and still are the thoughts that have ran through my mind all afternoon. I called Neil when we left school and I tearfully told him about Jack's day. He said it wasn't worth crying about (thats what all men think) and we agreed to take all of his toys away for the afternoon. Neil picked up ALL toys and put them up before we got home and truly Jack really only asked for "canky" and golf clubs. Canky is his train set's crane and he loves to play golf. So we had several more talks about not biting and I wrote his teacher a note and asked her two things for tomorrow:
1. PLEASE let Jack have his patpat and keep his mouth preoccupied to see if this helps (and to keep orajel on his gums for his teeth)
2. CALL HIS DADDY if it happens tomorrow and he will come up to school......

Does anyone have any more suggestions? I love my little boy so much that it breaks my heart to think about him doing this. I am embarrassed at school to think that people don't believe that I discipline him or we allow this and haven't taught him differently. I want him to love his friends and be sweet. I told Neil that we needed to have another kid really soon so that Jack would learn to be gentle and share......he said that it could make it worse! I guess I will try to convince him to have another baby tomorrow.

We had a good weekend. Jack got big boy bunkbeds and now has slept in them for two nights. We played outside in the pool and some friends came over for dinner with their little girl last night and we went to their house today. Little girls are so different-they are sweet and petite and delicate. Much slower pace of life- compared to my wide open little daredevil! Bes is a doll and Jack thinks that she is a toy. We are learning to be gentle and careful around babies- Sorry Amy that your little girl has to be our guinea pig!!! Enjoy some pictures and please give me some suggestions!!! Have a great rest of the week.

Tonight we were saying our prayers and we got to the part where we pray for our family and friends by name and this was Jack's prayer....
"tank du for daddy..Jack....Camp....daddy...Fatz...daddy....mommy....Cole....daddy....Nana at work....daddy....Rahrah....daddy....Nan....Pops....daddy....Gumbea....Kis (uncle Chris)...daddy....KK(his friend at school)....Camp......daddy.....lub du jeedus (love you Jesus). (Does daddy need lots of prayers that I might need to know about? or is Jack afraid daddy might come to school tomorrow and he wants Jesus to stop him?) I then prayed with him to have a good day and not bite his friends. Say a little prayer with me and for us that this "phase" ends soon!









4 comments:

The Brantley Boys said...

Leah, I am so sorry. Know that you aren't alone in this battle. I have heard that plenty of moms go through this. I am sure you or the teacher is already doing this, but I just read in the current Parents Magazine of a mom going through the same thing. The main suggestion was that the toddler is punished immediately for it. I know you are already doing that, but that is just what I read.

Allison said...

It is so hard when you have one type of baby at home and another type of baby at school...SPLIT PERSONALITY - they all have it! I am a big cryer, so I totally feel your pain. Everytime Ben screams and won't let me out of his sight and I see all of his friends running around and playing while their moms sit and visit I just want to crawl in a hole. I am convinced that they talk about what a pushover I am and how I don't set boundaries. Which is totally not the case b/c mommies DO NOT do that to other mommies. I have found that there really is no good answer. There is no magic bullet. I also know this is of no help to you, b/c we all want a magic bullet. Jack is a wonderful, healthy, gorgeous, well mannered, smart, vivacious little man and I know with 100% certainty that this "phase" will be a faint memory in no time. We love you dearly! Hang in there!

Brad, Amy, Bes and Mae said...

Well, the Sumrall's think Jack is adorable and I know he and Bes are going to be big buddies! Saying big prayers for ya'll. :)

Becky said...

I am so sorry I have no advice on this matter but what I do know is you are a FANTASTIC mom!!! I got teary-eyed as I read this because I can just imagine what you are feeling but this is not a reflection of you!

And I have to say at the very end I died laughing about his prayer... or maybe just your comments on his prayer! Too funny!!